Below is the first test. I suggested the tiger as it looks like the one from a Serbian unit. But more importantly it had to be a pattern that all touched. (To hard to explain.) And Deth spent a whole lot more time making it work.
Once you have the template it's pretty easy. Clean the wood. Remove the sticker backing. Place the sticker on the wood. Remove the plastic from atop the sticker that holds it all in place. Sandblast. Then remove the sticker.
I'll go into more detail about how it's done later.
Right now I'm trying to decide how or if I want to do anything to the cut to make it pop more. Was thinking about dark stain. But the wood is so dark. It would look better on solid wood with dark stain rubbed into it. (Which is what I did in the last pic above.)
Here's the latest. Used a crappy soft wood Yugo buttstock. Not like the normal nicer harder Yugo buttstock. But it turned out pretty kick A$$. I cut it at 75 psi. For about 10 minutes. And then rubbed in dark stain. Sanded with a block. And wiped with acetone. I'll post some more procedure pics and descriptions tomorrow.
Here's a skull design I did tonight on the other side of the same stock. Thicker template material so I could go deeper. Had it pumped up to 110 psi. First in plain wood. Then I stained it dark with a stain marker. Those things are cool. Don't remember who makes them. But they are felt tip markers with stain in them. The dark stain covers up the design. But also makes it look more subtle. I still think it will look even better on blonde wood. With a subtle used motor oil rub on the design.